In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.
Johannesburg motorists have less than two weeks left to take advantage of a 50percent discount on their traffic fines.
The Johannesburg Metro Police Department has warned motorists that the January 31 cut-off date will not be extended for unsettled fines.
"We encourage motorists to make use of the amnesty because it is not likely that there will be another," said spokesman Wayne Minnaar.
The reprieve was given to motorists last year and applied to fines received before November 1 in the Johannesburg jurisdiction.
Minnaar said motorists who had been issued with warrants of arrest still had to pay their contempt of court fines but the traffic fine would be reduced by half.
Minnaar said 640000 fines, amounting to about R44million have been paid so far.
He said a 50percent increase in the payment of fines was recorded in November.
"About 140000 fines were paid in the first two weeks of November," said Minnaar.