Manny Fernandez has defended himself against boxing trainers who accused him last week of being desperate in money by accepting an eleventh-hour offer for his charge, Kaizer Mabuza, to defend the national junior welterweight belt on Friday night.
"Mabuza had been in the gym since December preparing for Thulani Mkhwanazi", he said.
Mabuza did not return messages left on his phone yesterday.
The offer for his defence came last week when promoter Koko Godlo wanted a replacement for the WBF featherweight fight between holder Ludumo Galada and Takalani Ndlovu.
This international clash was cancelled after Galada died.
Godlo wanted the WBF All African welterweight female fight between Noni Tenge from Mdantsane and Amanua Gifty Ankrah from Ghana to be the main attraction.
But the SABC, which has the broadcast rights to the main fight, would hear none of that. So Godlo had to find a replacement.
The office of Bongani Khumalo, the chief executive of Boxing SA, seemed in the dark about the sanctioning of this fight. The usual time frame for sanctioning a national title fight is 30 days. Khumalo's office last week transferred Sowetan's call to Loyiso Mtya, the head of the sanctioning committee.
"There is nothing we as Boxing SA could do if the two camps agreed to fight," he said.
The BSA only administers the fight game, so Mabuza's defence of the title he won from Sam Malinga will top Godlo's bill at Orient Theatre. The tournament was initially dubbed "Boxing against Xenophobia" but Goldo has renamed it a "Tribute to Ludumo Galada".
lSee more boxing reports on page 39