Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
Zinhle Mapumulo and Sne Masuku
Seventy new cases of cholera were reported in three provinces at the weekend.
About 66 cases were confirmed in Limpopo, the province hardest hit by the water-borne disease.
KwaZulu-Natal recorded three and one case was reported in North West on Friday, the first in the province.
The patient is from Zimbabwe and was in the the country to visit her brother in Seraleng, Rustenburg, on January 4.
She became ill and was diagnosed with cholera at the Job Shimankana Tabane Hospital.
North West health spokesman Nthabiseng Makhongoana said the patient was being treated at the hospital and her condition was improving.
To date more than 1 600 infection cases have been reported and 13 people have died in the country.
Meanwhile, the KwaZulu-Natal health department is still trying to find the source of the cholera in the province since they believe it is not linked with the Zimbabwean outbreak.
Department spokesman Chris Maxon said one of the patients diagnosed on Thursday had never travelled to Zimbabwe or been in contact with the two people who died of cholera earlier.
The 44-year-old woman's diagnosis brings the number of confirmed cholera cases to five in KwaZulu-Natal.
All the patients were treated at the Nkonjeni Hospital in Zululand, where the two people who died of cholera were treated.
More than 1 700 people have succumbed to the disease in Zimbabwe, while thousands have become infected since August last year.