Controversial former University of the Witwatersrand SRC president Mcebo Dlamini was denied bail in .
A two-year-old boy was electrocuted in Atteridgeville, north of Pretoria, police said.
Captain Dumisani Ndlazi said yesterday an illegal electrical connection was responsible for the death on Saturday at about 7.30pm in Maunde Street.
A 20-year-old woman was boiling water on an electric stove.
"She switched the stove on and went to the bathroom, leaving the toddler alone. The boy touched the stove ... and got electrocuted.
"The mother heard her son groaning in pain and she found him lying on the floor."
Ndlazi said the boy was taken to the Kalafong Hospital with serious burn injuries. He was certified dead on arrival.
"We believe the city council disconnected the power from the house recently because the family was in arrears, but the woman's brother allegedly reconnected it from the main switch, hence the high voltage," he said.
An inquest docket was opened. No arrests had been made. - Sapa