The woes of SA Roadlink are not over yet - despite the luxury bus company winning a court order against the KwaZulu-Natal transport department last week.
The department is looking at other legal options and has vowed to pursue Roadlink until it has cleaned up its act.
Transport MEC Bheki Cele said he had suspended the company's licence, effective from Friday.
However, the Pietermaritzburg high court ruled in favour of the bus company, allowing them to continue operating - at least until their next court appearance in January.
Cele had also ordered police to impound all buses belonging to the company. This came after an accident involving a Roadlink bus and two other vehicles left 11 people dead and 18 injured on the south coast last week.
Nonkululeko Mbatha, the provincial department's spokesman, told Sowetan that Cele "welcomed the court decision" but stressed that the department was now exploring other legal options.
She refused to give further details and would not say if the department would appeal against the court's decision.
Cele said they respected the decision of the court.
"We fully understand that SA Roadlink will operate under the "mercy" of the court order.
"As the government we will continue to pursue all legal avenues available to ensure that the carnage on our roads is confronted head-on through comprehensive enforcement."
SA Roadlink spokesman Herman Steyn said: "The court reiterated what we have been saying the whole of last week - that it was business as usual."