The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
Inkatha Youth Brigade leaders contesting for the chairmanship of the structure have withdrawn their names at the 11th hour after alleged interventions from the party's mother body, the national executive committee.
Current chairman Thulasizwe Buthelezi and controversial former chairman of the SA Democratic Students Movement Irvin Barnes announced that they had withdrawn from the leadership race.
Buthelezi and Barnes are both favourite candidates for the top position but the party's NEC reined them in.
A source within the IFP told Sowetan that both men had created a "commotion while lobbying for the youth leadership position".
It is alleged that Buthelezi and Barnes created opposing camps in the youth structure and it was feared this could tear the party apart.
"The strategy was to urge the youth to vote for them so that they could influence a change in the party's presidency," the source said.
"The one group wanted national chairman Zanele Magwaza-Msibi to take over from the party president (Mongosuthu Buthelezi) while the other favoured general secretary Musa Zondi as president."
In a statement the IFP said Buthelezi and Barnes took an informed decision for the sake of "party's unity".
But some NEC members said the statement had been drafted by the party's national organiser, Albert Mncwango, without consulting Buthelezi or Barnes.
"The matter was discussed at the NEC meeting on Monday and it was agreed that Buthelezi and Barnes should not take part because they threatened the party's wellbeing."
The contested position is currently held by Pat Lebenya-Ntanzi as acting chairman.
Mncwango denied that the IFP NEC ousted Buthelezi and Barnes. from the youth leadership race.