Mon Oct 24 02:02:41 SAST 2016
Plea for a 72-hour break from Fees Must Fall

Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .

Boxers in threat to boycott next BSA convention

By unknown | Dec 04, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Bongani Magasela

Bongani Magasela

Boxing SA's flagrant disregard of its own rules and regulations as well as its unyielding shabby treatment of boxers has ultimately left boxers livid with anger.

They have, through chairman of the Boxers Association Jan Bergman, threatened to boycott next year's convention.

That is where promises of better treatment have always been made but to no avail.

Bergman yesterday said: "Boxing SA has always treated us badly but it is now getting worse. How could they allow a tournament to go ahead when purse monies had not been deposited.

"This confirms that we are not taken seriously. So what is the point of attending conventions, which in any case are just talk-shows?"

He was reacting to the late payment of Nkosinathi Joyi, Ludumo Galada, Lubabalo Msuthu, Themba Joyi, Thembelani Maphuma, Osborne Machimana and Myan Solomons, who fought last month on November 21 and 22 to in Eastern Cape.

Promoter S'Phatho Handi, who, unlawfully, staged their fights at Mdantsane Indoor Centre, did not follow the right procedure but notwithstanding, Boxing SA conducted the weigh-in and also availed themselves for the illegal tournament.

Handi only brought a cheque of R1,2 million to Boxing SA on Monday. Purse monies reflected in boxers' accounts yesterday.

"Boxing SA's conduct leaves much to be desired," said Bergman, himself a former Transvaal, SA, WBC International junior welterweight and WBU welterweight titlist.

Boxing SA chief executive Bongani Khumalo did not condone the "disgraceful" conduct of the boxing governing body.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT