Tue Oct 25 01:43:48 CAT 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

Mall contractors' claim rejected

By unknown | Oct 23, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Alex Matlala

Alex Matlala

With only a week left before the official opening of the multi-million rand Maake Shopping Mall in Tickeyline, outside Tzaneen, a storm is brewing between the subcontractors and the main contractor.

The construction of the complex was touted as a labour intensive project costing R120million and it was hoped it would ease congestion in the small town of Tzaneen.

At the centre of the controversy is an allegation by 21 sub-contractors that the main contractor, Gavin Seagentos, has not paid them for work done.

Construction started in December last year and work has now come to a halt because of the payment dispute.

Collins Seerane, one of the disgruntled sub-constructors, said each time they asked about payment they were given the run-around by Seagentos.

Seerane said the only money the sub-constructors received was for workers' wages.

"According to the agreement we were supposed to be paid on completion of various phases," Seerane said.

"But each time a phase was completed and we expected payment Seagentos would tell us he did not have the money."

Seagentos was not available for comment last night.

But mall community liaison officer Judas Rakgoale poured cold water on the sub-constructors' claims.

Rakgoale described the subconstructors as people "who want to cause trouble even where there is none."

"They were all paid their money as they progressed with the building," Rakgoale said.

"The only money that is owed to them is a R5 000 golden handshake each for a job that has been properly completed.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT