A 65-year-old Limpopo woman fears she might not get her social grant this month after she lost her identity document when a raging forest fire burnt two of her huts at Kgwekgwe village.
The damage caused by the fire at the weekend is estimated at more than R60000. No one was injured in the blaze.
Yesterday, the disaster management committee of Tzaneen municipality came to the rescue of the woman's family. It donated blankets and mattresses.
The pensioner, Mmangwako Sebeka, said the fire, which started about half a kilometre away from the homestead, raged faster towards the direction of the houses.
Scores of villagers tried to fight it but failed because the heat was unbearable.
All the contents of the huts, including two bedroom suites, a television set and kitchen units, were totally destroyed.
The spokesman for the disaster management committee, Evans Moseamedi, told Sowetan yesterday that they had decided to intervene to help the family after they were approached by the ward councillor for the area, Masilo Maloko.
Moseamedi also said the social welfare unit in the municipality had donated food parcels to the family yesterday.
Meanwhile, Maloko said they would assist the elderly woman to get a temporary identity document so that she could be able to receive her social grant at Moleketla village on Friday to feed her family.