Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
Remant Alton buses are still not operating because of the ongoing bus strike in Durban. The company said yesterday if this continues the it would resort to a second backup plan.
Human resources manager Paul Rush said its first backup plan to recruit new bus drivers was foiled when job applicants were allegedly assaulted and intimidated by the protesters outside the premises.
A manager at the Rossburgh depot was also assaulted, Rush said. The company intended opening a criminal case against the bus strikers but police have advised that the victims file the case themselves.
"Our second plan is to speak to other bus operators to see if they can come in and assist us by sub-contracting with us and running on our routes," said Rush.
However, he said private bus companies had indicated that their staff were not willing to do this.
"They were worried about the security of their staff and their buses."
This comes after 19 buses belonging to the troubled bus service were set on fire last week.
The company has lodged an insurance claim for nearly R8,9 million. Rush said the buses were not new.
Remant Alton bus drivers went on strike three weeks ago, leading to the dismissal of 937 employees.
The workers were demanding to be employed by the eThekwini municipality, claiming there was financial mismanagement within the bus service.
Rush said the company and the two unions were to meet yesterday to discuss the matter further.
Meanwhile, the drivers said they were unhappy about the Durban labour court ruling on Friday.
The workers took Remant Alton to court demanding that they be paid their September salary balances. The application was dismissed.
The striking drivers said the protest would continue. - Sapa