Mon Oct 24 20:37:01 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

Promoters call for Boxing SA boss to quit

By unknown | Sep 29, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Bongani Magasela

Bongani Magasela

Promoters have unanimously called for Boxing SA's chief executive Bongani Khumalo to resign.

This is the second call this year for Khumalo to hit the road.

The National Promoters Association was the first to make this call in May after their meeting in Bloemfontein where they accused Khumalo of being arrogant and insensitive to issues affecting them.

Khumalo had announced that promoters staging international and world title fights were to pay R70000 together with their R5000 license fee renewal for the current financial year.

For national tournaments they were to pay R30000 to accompany their R3000 fees while development promoters were to fork out R10000 on top of their R2000. A R50 administration fee was to be levied to all the amounts.

Promoters said Khumalo could not be trusted to advance the interest of boxing stakeholders. The promoters have won the fight against fee renewals.

This second call for Khumalo to go is fuelled by a multi-million sponsorship debacle in which promoters have accused him (Khumalo) of ignoring all the stake holders and instead running to the media in February to announce that he had clinched a R10,5million deal with Mike Motloung's Tourist Choice.

Khumalo announced that the sponsorship was not only a milestone but also attested to the fact that Boxing SA was maturing and fulfilling its mandate to regulate, control and supervise professional boxing in the country.

"We are immensely pleased that Tourist Choice has agreed to sponsor boxing at a time when we are grappling with tactics and strategies to ensure that boxing reclaims its rightful place in the sporting fraternity", he said. Khumalo added that Motloung's travel agency, which allegedly bought a luxury micro bus for Boxing SA, had been granted the naming rights for national belts.

They had been known as Boxing SA belts since Old Buck withdrew its sponsorship in 2005. Khumalo added that the belts would be called Tourist Choice belts. Khumalo had hardly been in the office for eight months when he clinched the sponsorship. Yours truly even nicknamed him "Mr Fix-It" for pulling off the sponsorship.

Promoters want to know: "Why were board members not present at that launch? Who checked Khumalo' s findings when checking Motloung's credentials?"

Last week, Motloung' s younger brother Nick exposed him as a conman. This is what some promoters had to say:

"We were never consulted as stake holders. We only read about his deal in the media", said Mzimase Mnguni, whose sentiments were shared by Obed Molekwa.

Mxolisi Gumede said the boxing fraternity had been fooled.

"I am waiting to see the reaction of Minister Makhenkesi Stofile".

Jacob Matlala blamed Boxing SA for not checking Motloung's bank balance.

Boxing SA's chairman Peter Ngatane surprised the boxing public last week when he said "we will investigate".

But the job of investigating anyone is generally done by police who have absolute power to charge and prosecute.

"I was optimistic after the announcement but things changed just when we asked him for some documents and he was never forthcoming. I just wonder why he did all that? asked a disappointed Ngatane.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT