The boxing career of Henry "Nsimbi" Ngubane, which started in 2005, could be over.
This 31-year-old fighter told Sowetan yesterday that the doctor that took care of him during his two- week stay at the Witbank General Hospital advised him to quit.
"It's tough. I love boxing with a passion," said this boxer from Jozini near Mkhuze, KwaZulu-Natal
He is based in Witbank under trainer Lawrence Ngobeni.
Ngubane was discharged last Friday. He was admitted on September 5 after collapsing inside the ring in the sixth round of his welterweight fight with Norman Tshisikhawe at Graceland Casino in Secunda, Mpumalanga.
At a glance, it looked as if he was faking injury, but his failure to respond to treatment from ringside doctors and paramedics showed the seriousness of his injury. He was then rushed to hospital.
"The headache still bothers me after a slight walk, and that affects my vision. I will listen to my body's reaction and take it from there," said Ngubane.
Last week Boxing South Africa service provider in Mpumalanga, Solly Matsimela, said Ngubane's doctor also told him that the injury was severe. "He said it affected his left side of the brain - hence the left leg is not functioning well," said Matsimela last week. "He said Ngubane should not box again."
Ngubane was on June 20 involved in a brutal six rounder with Joseph Modise in the lightweight division, a fight Ngubane won on points to register his only second win against four defeats and a draw.