In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.
Proposed action to force the national prosecuting authority to drop charges against ANC president Jacob Zuma will not get the backing of the police or its unions.
KwaZulu-Natal police spokesman Director Phindile Radebe said: "We are an essential service. Anything that disrupts our duties to the community cannot be allowed."
Radebe said she had not seen a news report that claimed the ANC planned to embark on rolling mass action, which according to a daily newspaper included sit-ins and pickets at courts and police stations across KwaZulu-Natal.
She did not know whether permission had been granted for the staging of marches and would comment further once she had more details.
Normal operations at these institutions could be disrupted, the newspaper report said.
The plan was hatched at a meeting of delegates from ANC branches in the eThekwini region on Thursday, held to discuss matters ahead of Zuma's next appearance in the Pietermaritzburg high court on September 12.
On Sunday ANC eThekwini chairman John Mchunu said rolling mass action would involve "courts, police stations and ... all these areas".
Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union national spokesman Benzi Soko said he was not aware of the planned protest action.
"Police officers are by law not allowed to embark on industrial action. As stipulated in the constitution we are an essential service. We respect the Constitution." - Sapa