Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
Accomplished boxing manager- cum-promoter Mzimase Mnguni says his charge, Ali "Rush Hour" Funeka has not dumped anybody after it was reported that he had ditched Branco Milenkovic and rejoined Mnguni's Eyethu Boxing Promotions.
"Ali has always been with Eyethu. When was it reported that he dumped me for Branco, since he has fought in his [Milenkovic's] promotion?" he asked.
"It was agreed that Branco can use Funeka for the purse bid and to stage the International Boxing Federation (IBF) title elimination between him and Zahir Raheem if he won the bid."
Milenkovic duly won the purse bid that earned Funeka R500000, his biggest purse money in his 14 years as a paid pugilist.
"People must get their facts right. At this point in time we should be talking about Ali's wonderful performance against Raheem, which will make him feel good, not these negative stories," insisted Mnguni.
Funeka, who earned the number one spot in the IBF's lightweight ratings was presented by Milenkovic's Branco Sports Productions at his fight against Raheem at East London's Jan Smuts Stadium last month.
"Ask Bra Mzi. I know nothing about this. As far as I know Branco is my promoter," said the 31-year-old Mdantsane fighter who will challenge the winner between Nate "Galaxy" Campbell and Joan Guzman next year.
Campbell defends his IBF, World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO) lightweight titles against Guzman on September 13. Mnguni is understood to be planning to take Funeka to Golden Gloves.
Milenkovic said: "I have not heard anything from Funeka and his camp. There is nobody who called me and told me about their unhappiness. Funeka has always had a contract with Mzi. I am his international promoter."