The IFP yesterday reacted angrily to last week's sacking of its member and Ndwedwe municipal manager Bongani Thabethe.
Thabethe was sacked late Thursday at a full council sitting after being found guilty of financial misconduct.
He had been suspended since December after allegations of financial misconduct surfaced - nine months after he was employed as manager.
He is accused of awarding contracts to the value of R500000 without following procedures.
It is alleged that Thabethe paid a communication company owned by Ukhozi FM DJ Linda Sibiya R210000 for roadshows.
He was also found guilty of irregularly paying another company R11000 for videos and photos.
The IFP chief whip in the municipality, Nicholas Vilakazi, said the party "distanced itself" from the decision to fire Thabethe.
"We have been dissatisfied from the day he was suspended," Vilakazi said.
"We asked the council to discuss the charges before any decision is taken.
"But the ANC used its majority and suspended him in December."
He said the ANC had not made documents compiled by private investigators available to them. An abridged version was presented during the council meeting in which Thabethe was sacked.
Mayor S'thembiso Kubheka said the municipality supported the council decision.
"We were guided by a lekgotla we had between councillors and officials on July 10, where we took a resolution that we would all work towards making our municipality free from corruption and mismanagement," Kubheka said.
"Secondly, we were guided by a government symposium we attended last Tuesday where all councillors were told to work with distinction."
He said during a disciplinary inquiry Thabethe was found guilty of financial misconduct and that the allegations were serious.
"We will advertise his post and try to recoup the money," Kubheka said.