Sun Oct 23 09:54:02 SAST 2016
‘How varsity protest forced me to live in a shelter’

The Fees Must Fall protests had dire consequences for café employee Eddie at the University of Cape .


By unknown | Jul 23, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Riot Hlatshwayo

Riot Hlatshwayo

The wife of a man who died on the same day he was admitted to a Mpumalanga hospital is suing the provincial department of health for R3million

Astania Mnisi, 53, decided to go to court after provincial government officials were summoned yesterday to a local chief's council.

They were asked to explain how Dingaan Mnisi, 54, died on June 23 at the Tintswalo Hospital in Acornhoek less than an hour after being admitted.

Hospital corporate manager Mkhomazi Nkuna could give the royal council an explanation of how Mnisi died, but assured them investigations were continuing.

He promised the family the hospital would allow them to see Mnisi's hospital file. Until now the hospital has refused to do so.

Nkuna appeared before the council with hospital clinical manager Phillip Tshuketana, hospital communications officer Elphus Mathole, risk and security manager Charles Mhangane and nursing service assistant-director Tsakani Mangena.

Mnisi's son, Oris, told Sowetan his father had been admitted to the hospital after complaining about stomach pains, but had sustained head injuries in the ward.

"We were shocked when we found daddy with injuries to the head and the hospital authorities told us he had died of natural causes," he said.

"We hired a private doctor to do a postmortem, which proved he had died of head injuries."

Mnisi royal council chairman Jairus Mnisi asked the departmental delegation to explain to a packed hall how Mnisi had died "at the hands of nurses" at the hospital.

A member of the community, Jabulile Mnisi, 25, said she was worried because four people at the hospital had died under similar circumstances.

"We're not sure our parents are safe in that hospital," Jabulile said. "Perhaps there's a ghost involved but at least the officials did not try to dodge the truth."

Chief Phendulani Phillip Mnisi was not at the meeting.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT