The DA has launched an appeal against the Health Department's "refusal" to approve an application for the release of its report into the deaths of 142 babies in the Eastern Cape earlier this year.
"The public, and in particular, the families of the babies who died so tragically and needlessly, have a right to know what caused these children to die and exactly what is being done to prevent any further deaths," DA spokesman Mike Waters said yesterday.
The DA launched an application in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act on June 20 for the report, "which the government had previously stated it would release".
But, Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang and her officials had subsequently stonewalled any attempts to access it, in complete contravention of the principles of open and accountable government, Waters said. - Sapa