Thu Oct 27 15:05:55 SAST 2016

Eastern Cape premier's fate hangs in balance

By unknown | Jul 10, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Nosimo Balindlela is to be sacked as premier of Eastern Cape in the coming days.

Her fate will be sealed after:

l An ANC national executive committee (NEC) meeting in Johannesburg, which starts on Friday to endorse its working committee recommendations for her removal;

l Luthuli House, ANC headquarters, endorses the name of the preferred successor; and

l The successor's name had been forwarded to the president for an announcement next week.

While the ANC provincial executive committee (PEC) maintained its official stance that Balindlela should remain in office until next year, it was reliably learnt that she would be ousted as early as next Wednesday.

Her imminent removal from office was confirmed yesterday by eight independent sources, including members of the PEC, senior government officials and unionists.

Though provincial spokesman Andile Nkuhlu denied that the provincial government had recommended Balindlela's removal, sources said the decision to oust her was taken last month after ANC president Jacob Zuma and the national working committee (NWC) visited the province.

This was after Balindlela failed to convince the NWC that all was well as she had claimed and was sent packing following the rejection of a report she had presented on the state of affairs in the province.

Sources said certain PEC members, who sit on the NWC, had also disapproved of Balindlela's governance.

"We are not saying that Balindlela will not be sacked...but if the NEC comes up with such a decision, then we will have to accept it," Nkuhlu said.

Cosatu provincial secretary Xola Pakati said he was aware of the decision to sack Balindlela and that it was just a matter of the NEC's approval. - Daily Dispatch.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT