Thu Oct 27 03:04:30 CAT 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

It's all systems go for big march

By unknown | Jun 10, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Siyabonga Africa

Siyabonga Africa

Protesters in today's Million Man March against crime must come "armed with love", spokesman Kaysaree Moodley said.

"We have provided this platform for people to express themselves. People can bring placards so long as they don't portray hate speech. And no alcohol or arms are allowed," she said.

An estimated 600000 people are expected to gather at the Union Buildings for the protest against crime, the Tshwane disaster management division said.

Moodley said the onus was on South Africans who wanted to be there to get to the Union Buildings by 6am.

Spokesman William Baloyi said the disaster division, police, emergency services and Million Man March organisers were ready for what has been described as an unprecedented event.

Moodley said march organisers had been working with hospitals and the police to prepare for the gathering.

"We are going to have more than 700 metro police and traffic officers on site," she said.

Baloyi said his division would ensure the main routes were clear of traffic but that Potgieter Street, Nelson Mandela Drive, Skinner, Vermeulen and Hamilton streets were expected to be congested.

Superintendent Lungelo Dlamini, of the Pretoria police, said they expected the gathering to go well.

"We have enough police to monitor the situation in case things go sour," he said.

Mande Toubkin, spokesman for Netcare disaster management, said the hospitals would be ready for any emergency.

The Million Man March was conceived by actor and comedian Desmond Dube after the shooting of actor Shimmy Mofokeng in Mulbarton, Johannesburg, earlier this year.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT