Wed Oct 26 06:16:21 CAT 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

Money for 'Million March'

By unknown | May 26, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Getrude Makhafola

Getrude Makhafola

South Africans joined hands to lend support to actor and comedian Desmond Dube's Million Man March anti-crime initiative at a fund-raising banquet on Friday night.

The march is scheduled to take place in Pretoria on June 10 where a petition will be handed to government officials at the Union Buildings.

The march has the support of the police and Tshwane Metro police.

Dube launched the initiative a few weeks ago, asking everyone to join him in the march next month. Sowetan is the media partner of this anti-crime march.

Dube said he received a wake-up call after his neighbour and actor, Shimmy Mofokeng, was gunned down in Mulbarton in March.

"This will be a first for this country when a million citizens take a stand against crime. This will be the first step towards change," Dube said.

Mofokeng's widow, Letta, gave a heart-wrenching account of how she found out her husband had been murdered.

Thousands of rands worth of sporting memorabilia, including Herschelle Gibbs' batting pads and Cassius Baloyi's gloves, were auctioned.

To join the crime prevention initiative you can SMS the word "enough" to 34764 at a cost of R2. The money raised will used for transport to Pretoria, security, T-shirts and banners.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT