Gauteng MEC for sports and recreation Barbara Creecy says police have concrete information on who is behind the xenophobic violence.
Creecy told the Gauteng Legislature yesterday that the government was engaged in serious investigations to bring those responsible to book.
Her comments followed on a Sowetan report in which Soweto police said they had arrested a hostel resident who told them he had been paid to attack foreigners.
Soweto police confirmed they were on top of the situation and that there should be no cause for fear.
But more shops were looted in the area yesterday.
Businesses in the Johannesburg CBD were forced to close yesterday. The police maintained a strong presence and continued arrests.
The death toll since the start of the attacks has risen to 24, with hundreds injured and thousands displaced.
Captain Mpande Khoza said shops belonging to foreign nationals were under threat in the township. He said money, property and other things were taken from the shops.
"We know who the attackers are and we will arrest them soon," Khoza said. "They are also known to the community. We have no fear."
He said shops were looted in Phiri and Tshiawelo on Monday night and yesterday morning.
Khoza said they did not have any further information on the man who claimed he had been paid to attack foreigners. He said those arrested will appear in the Protea magistrates' court today.