Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.
Sowetan has thrown its weight behind the Million Man March, the anti-crime initiative led by entertainer Desmond Dube, which takes place in Pretoria on Tuesday, June 10.
Media partners and sponsors so far are Sowetan and SABC2.
A fundraising banquet, at R20000 a table or R2000 a person, will be held at Thaba Ya Batswana on 46 Impala Road, in the Kliprivierberg Nature Reserve, near Kibler Park on Friday starting at 6.30pm.
Dube says the march is a response to the unacceptable crime and criminality in our country. He decided to do something after fellow actor, mentor, community leader and neighbour, Bashimane "Shimmy" Mofokeng, was shot dead in a hijacking near his home in Mulbarton, south of Johannesburg, in March. Dube says the march , which is open to men aged 18 and older, aims to:
l Unite all South Africans against crime because crime can only be defeated if confronted with a collective will, a combined commitment and a united plan of action;
l Empower people who feel helpless, vulnerable and alone by offering them a platform on which to voice their displeasure against the scourge of crime and criminality;
l Act as a collective petition of people to urge the government to act decisively on the crime and criminality crisis;
l Reinforce the call for more and better resources to be given to the police;
l To boost calls for implementation for more efficient corruption-busting mechanisms with state organs, including the police services.
For more information or anything else you wish to know about the Million Man March, please telephone Letta on 011-435-1502/3/4 or visit www.millionmanmarch.co.za or e-mail: email@example.com.