Wed Oct 26 07:58:34 SAST 2016

Electric shock boy cheats death

By unknown | May 21, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Alfred Moselakgomo

Alfred Moselakgomo

A five-year-old Mpumalanga boy cheated death when he got an electric shock but regained consciousness after six hours.

The boy was allegedly shocked when municipal workers left an electric power box unlocked near his home.

Now the boy's father, Ntokozo Nkosi, is threatening to sue the Emakhazeni municipality for negligence and the pain the child, Andile, had to endure.

"The municipal workers upgrading power boxes in our township forgot to lock the box in front of my house when they knocked off on Friday," Nkosi said.

"Apparently Andile and two friends were playing in front of the box when he opened the unlocked door and touched live wires inside."

Nkosi said he became aware of the incident when neighbours called him.

"When I got there I found Andile lying unconscious on the ground," he said. "He regained consciousness in hospital six hours later.".

Andile's friends, Siphosihle Skosana, 7, and Sizwe Ntimane, 6, were apparently behind him when he opened the box.

Emakhazeni municipal manager Oscar Nkosi confirmed the incident and said officials from the municipality had already visited the Nkosi family.

He said the municipality began upgrading its network in Belfast and Siyathuthuka last November.

He warned residents to keep children away from exposed wires. He said the municipality was investigating the accident and would make sure children stayed away from the danger.

"If our findings show that there had been negligence on our part, heads will roll."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT