Twenty-eight female guards were unfairly dismissed by a security company because the client‚ Metrora.
The House of Traditional Leaders in KwaZulu-Natal says it will not be "bullied" by MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu, who has threatened to declare vacant the positions of Mangosuthu Buthelezi and his deputy, Mpiyezintombi Mzimela, if the two fail to meet the June 1 deadline.
Last month the cabinet resolved that the positions of chairman and deputy of the provincial House of Traditional Leaders are to be full-time and that the office bearers are to be remunerated.
This effectively requires Buthelezi to relinquish his position either in the national assembly or the House of Traditional Leaders.
In a meeting held in Ulundi at Mandleni-Matleng Hall yesterday, the amakhosi insisted that they will take Mabuyakhulu to court to oppose his decision and that of the cabinet.
Buthelezi excused himself from his position as chairman of the meeting and Mzimela was left to deliberate on various issues, including the letter sent by Mabuyakhulu restating the government's stance.
Parts of the letter says: "I confirm that the decision of the provincial executive stands, and that should either the chairman or deputy not accept the terms of the appointment, then I will have no alternative but to declare a vacancy and call for elections."
The house gave a full mandate to Buthelezi to take whatever steps he considers necessary, including legal action.
The amakhosi said they were not a state organ and cannot be dictated to by the state.
The house reiterated its position that only the deputy position should be made permanent, regardless of "threats" by Mabuyakhulu to kick them out if they do not comply with the June 1 deadline.
House of Traditional Leaders spokesman Lennox Mabaso said he would only comment once he had spoken to Mabuyakhulu.