Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
After the yearly Kay Motsepe Cup was disturbed by a public servants strike last year, the tournament is back in full force this year.
The tournament is played by all secondary schools for youths Under-21 and is sponsored by Mamelodi Sundowns owner Patrice Motsepe.
The national winners of the tournament will take home R250000, with the runners-up pocketing R150000 and the third-placed team getting R100000.
"The tournament started at the beginning of the schools second quarter and is expected to be completed during the second week of July.
"After last year's disturbance it is expected that the relationship between the schools' association and the Motsepe Foundation will be extended to 2011 and not 2010 as per the contract.
"The provinces that played the preliminary rounds last year need not start afresh, instead they must continue where they left off," said Mandla "Shoes" Mazibuko, of the South African Schools Football Association.
He said: "Provinces are encouraged not allow any form of forgery or fraud as such activities will jeopardise the children's future. We are confident that all the provinces will adhere to the deadlines given to them."
In the provincial finals, Northern Cape will be the first to announce its winners on Saturday, May 10, followed by Free State on May 17, with Western Cape and Mpumalanga completing their programme on the last day of May.
Other provinces will play their finals in June. Gauteng and Limpopo on June 7, with North West on June 14, Eastern Cape on June 21 and KwaZulu-Natal on June 28. The national finals are to be played between July 9 and 12.