Wed Oct 26 04:15:20 SAST 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

Buthelezi's high court threat

By unknown | Apr 25, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Canaan Mdletshe

IFP leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi will go to the high court to challenge the action if he is removed as chairman of the provincial house of traditional affairs.

The threat is a response to a decision by the KZN provincial government that the positions of chairman and deputy chairman of the provincial house of traditional leader will become full-time posts from June 1.

The announcement by Mike Mabuyakhulu, the MEC for local government and traditional affairs, means Buthelezi must relinquish one of his positions - as chairman of IFP in the national assembly or chairman of the provincial house of traditional leaders.

Buthelezi has rejected this, saying the the move was an attempt to "drive him out of politics".

He has no intention of relinquishing either post.

This he made clear when he addressed hundreds of amakhosi in Ulundi yesterday.

The meeting was called by Buthelezi to ask amakhosi "to decide on his future".

Some traditional leaders also criticised the decision.

Buthelezi told the tense and sometimes emotional gathering that the decision was unlawful. "I can find no legislative authority which permits the executive of the province of KwaZulu-Natal either to determine that the positions of the chairman and deputy chairman are full-time or part time," he said..

"Mabuyakhulu is seeking to undermine the autonomy of the provincial house and override the Act."

He added: "I intend remaining in my position as the chairman of the provincial house and to attend duties to that office in addition to my duties as a member of the national assembly.

"If I thought I was not able properly to discharge both mandates, I would withdraw from one of them, but that is not the case," he said.

Buthelezi added that should any steps be taken to remove him, he would go to the high court to seek redress.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT