Malcolm "The Stone" Klassen says it is premature for Cassius Baloyi to be elevated to the status of being "King" when the IBF junior lightweight champion has not cleaned up the division yet.
Baloyi, 33, whose skills are perfected by esteemed Gauteng mentor Nick Durandt, last weekend became the first boxer ever in South Africa to win six world titles after ending the reign of Mzonke Fana as the IBF belt holder.
"Cassius has done very well for himself and the country. I applaud him for all his achievements but I maintain that calling him King just because he beat Fana is premature.
"I am the number three contender and I honestly believe that he should beat us all before being glorified," said Klassen.
Klassen, 27, whose skills are honed by Manny Fernandez, held the same belt briefly after winning it from Gary St Clair on November 2006. He disciplined the Guyanese fighter who had earlier referred to him as a "boy".
Klassen, however, lost it four months later to Mzonke Fana, who defended against Javier Osvaldo Alvarez (TKO, 10th round) last August before surrendering it to Baloyi.
Klassen stopped Joel De La Cruz in seven rounds in the undercard of the Baloyi-Fana fight. He improved his knockout ratio to 13 from 23 wins, against four losses and two draws.
"We have unfinished business with (Manuel) Medina. He made Cassius have two elimination fights instead of one," said Durandt.
Their fight - the second - in July ended in four rounds after an accidental clash of heads which caused a huge cut above Medina's right eye. The fight was declared a technical draw.
In their first fight in the US on May 2006, Baloyi stopped "Mantecas" in 11 rounds for the same belt which he lost to St Clair two months later.
Meanwhile, promoter Branco Milenkovic announced last Friday that Klassen and Medina would fight for IBF's number one spot, and the winner, in a fight proposed for July, will challenge Baloyi.