Mopping-up operations after Tuesday night's severe storm, suffered mostly along the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal and surrounding areas, were well under way yesterday.
Businesses, hospitals and residential homes were flooded in the storm, leading to drainage systems being blocked and causing the roads to be flooded.
Affected sections at Prince Mshiyeni Hospital were yesterday cleaned up and operations were back to normal.
Municipal workers went all out to remove debris and clear the roads. eThekwini municipal manager Mike Sutcliffe said repair work might take up to two weeks or more, especially the blocked drainage systems in Umlazi and Lamontville townships.
Chairman of the South African Shack and Rural Dwellers Organisation, Thembinkosi Qumbela, said he was very concerned because not all of affected people had been helped. Some of the adversely affected places are the Cato-Crest and Empophomeni informal settlements in Chatsworth.