Wed Oct 26 11:41:20 SAST 2016

'fo sho' boss staying put

By unknown | Feb 20, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Zenoyise Madikwa

SABC1 Mzansi's "fo sho" publicity and events manager Simphiwe Mthembu has rejected claims he has been fired.

Mthembu said he had no intention of going anywhere "despite the fact that my post has been advertised".

His post is being advertised in the SABC's in-house publication Intercom .

On Sunday, Sunday Sun reporter Prince Chauke reported that Mthembu had been "fired".

Subsequently, in a e-mail to another journalist, Mthembu accused "some journalists" of using newsrooms to line their pockets. He also accused Chauke of turning the profession into "a pay-for-services-rendered job".

Mthembu said he was the victim of a smear campaign by certain journalists because he rejected an invoice, charging SABC1 more than R300000 "for doing nothing".

The invoice was from journalists who were Chauke's friends, he said.

"Newspapers employ reporters to write and pay them.

"Why should we pay them for what they are employed to do?

"My sin was . to refuse to be corrupted by journalists who wanted the SABC to pay them to do what they are employed to do."

He said that the "unscrupulous journalists" were saying they had not been paid because he was refusing to "cooperate", he wrote in the e-mail.

Asked for comment, SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said he had received Mthembu's e-mail "but can't explain anything".

He said he needed to talk to the station head, Ray Nkwe.

Efforts to speak to Nkwe proved fruitless. His phone was switched off.

SABC1 has been plagued by resignations lately.

Earlier this month SABC1's marketing manager Vuyo Dyantyi resigned.

He follows Tumi Rabanye, who was a brand manager at the broadcaster.

Chauke denied having journalist friends who charged Mthembu R300000.

"I don't know what he is talking about. A press release stated that he had been fired."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT