Thu Oct 27 14:49:55 SAST 2016

'Learner's licence forms cost R2000'

By unknown | Feb 15, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Alex Matlala

Alex Matlala

An investigation into the alleged licensing scam in Limpopo has shown that some driving school owners were charging R2000 for an application form for learner's licences.

The Greater Tzaneen municipality launched an investigation into the allegations last week.

It has been discovered that some of the driving school owners were working in cahoots with employees and high ranking officials in the traffic department.

The scam was discovered when a son of the municipal spokesman apparently went to the traffic department to get an application form for a learner's licence.

When he got there he was told the forms were finished and he could only get one at a driving school.

"But when he approached the driving school, he was told to pay R2000 for the form," said a source yesterday who is part of the probe.

"The officials give the application forms to driving school owners who then pass them over to their instructors," the source said.

"The instructor would then sell the forms to the applicants."

The source further said the investigation revealed that some of the driving school owners were charging R800 bribes for applicants to pass their test.

This is then allegedly shared among the driving school owner and the municipal officials.

"The driving school owners get 60percent of the loot while their partners in crime [at the traffic department] receive the remaining 40percent," added the source.

Meanwhile, two female officials from the same municipality were arrested and charged with fraud after being connected to the fraudulent sale of driver's licences.

The case was, however, thrown out of court after the witnesses who claimed to have paid for the licences failed to arrive at court to give evidence in the trial.

A fortnight ago the Greater Giyani municipality suspended two officials for similar reasons.

Communication manager of the Greater Tzaneen municipality, Solly Mkhatjoa, confirmed that his son was the latest victim of the licensing scam.

Mkhatjoa said investigations were at a sensitive stage and declined to comment further.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT