The ANC councillor who was gunned down on Tuesday night in Dukuduku, Mtubatuba, northern Zululand, received death threats before the fatal attack.
Sipho Zungu, 55, was with his family when he was shot and killed. Umkhanyakude regional deputy chairman Simo Mhlongo, who was shocked by the murder, confirmed that Zungu had been threatened after taking over a ward in 2006.
"He received threats from certain people. We advised him to go to the police and make a statement because we took the threats seriously," he said.
Mhlongo said they assumed Zungu was out of danger when he no longer got threats.
"Looking at the political stability in our province one is shocked to see such things resurfacing. We thought we were past such things because our people are now desperate for development," said Mhlongo.
He said when he arrived at Zungu's home, he found him dead. His wife had also been shot in the thigh while a domestic worker was shot in the foot.
Police Superintendent Muzi Mngomezulu said: "Zungu was having supper with his family when three armed men approached and started firing at them. Zungu was shot 10 times in the neck, head and upper body. He died instantly.
"His wife was shot in the thigh. She is recuperating at a local hospital.
"Nothing was taken after the shooting. The motive for the shooting is unknown at this stage," said Mngomezulu.
The IFP has expressed shock at Zungu's murder.
Alfred Mpontshane, the IFP's Umkhanyakude district chairman, said they do not condone the killing of any public representative.
Mtubatuba police are investigating a case of murder and attempted murder.