Fri Oct 28 16:10:07 SAST 2016
Gender equality - Stock image
Security guards get two years’ pay after being fired for being women

Twenty-eight female guards were unfairly dismissed by a security company because the client‚ Metrora.

'president tried to save selebi's scalp'

By unknown | Feb 13, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Kingdom Mabuza andIdo Lekota

Kingdom Mabuza andIdo Lekota

President Thabo Mbeki tried to save suspended National Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi from facing corruption charges.

This is the implication of a submission by Acting National Prosecutions Authority (NPA) head Mokotedi Mpshe to the Pretoria high court this week.

Mpshe, whom many believed would sing to Mbeki's tune when he was appointed to the post late last year, in fact also implies that the president lied when he said he knew nothing about serious allegations against Selebi.

During a meeting with the South African Council of Churches last November Mbeki told the church leaders to "trust him", saying if anyone brought concrete evidence that Selebi had done anything wrong he would act on it.

Yet Mpshe says under oath that Mbeki knew from March 2006 that Selebi was a prime corruption suspect.

In a statement to the Pretoria high court on Monday Mpshe said Mbeki had been kept fully informed of both the investigation against Selebi and the nature of the allegations against him.

Mpshe said Pikoli had discussed the allegations against Selebi in at least 12 meetings with, among others, Mbeki director-general in the presidency Frank Chikane and four cabinet ministers.

Mpshe also revealed that the now suspended director of prosecutions, Vusi Pikoli, had informed six top government officials, including Justice Minister Brigitte Mabandla, Safety and Security Minister Charles Nqakula and Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota of the serious graft claims against Selebi.

Mbeki's response in this matter has always been that no one had come to him with allegations against Selebi.

Yesterday Mbeki's spokesman Mukoni Ratshitanga, said the president's position on the matter had not changed. He also said the Presidency would not comment further on the matter because it was now in court.

Nqakula spokesman Trevor Bloem said: "These allegations will still be tested in court, where it will be decided if the allegations are true or false."

Lekota's spokesman Sam Mkwanazi said he was struggling to locate the minister.

Mabandla's spokesman Zolile Nqayi was not available for comment.

Yesterday the DA's Sandra Botha said Mpshe's revelations made it difficult for the public to trust Mbeki. She also called on Mbeki to disband the Ginwala Commission and "reinstate Pikoli with immediate effect".

Mbeki suspended Pikoli last year citing his inability to cooperate with Mbandla as his political head.

Pikoli's suspension came after he had issued a warrant of arrest for Selebi. Mpshe, as the new appointed acting head, revoked the warrant - leading to speculation that he was instructed by Mbeki to do so.

Mbeki has previously been criticised for the different way in which he had handled former deputy president Jacob Zuma's and Selebi's cases.

He axed Zuma after his former financial advisor Schabir Shaik was found guilty of fraud and corruption.

However, Mbeki has been dragging his feet despite allegations by Pikoli against Selebi.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT