Wed Oct 26 23:27:23 CAT 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

dogs attack probe

By unknown | Jan 28, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Langelihle Chagwe

Langelihle Chagwe

Vaal Rand police are investigating a case of attempted murder after a 39-year-old Orange Farm man was mauled by five pit bull dogs in Elandsfontein on August 5 last year.

Johannes Thabane, who was hospitalised for a month following the attack, was left paralysed.

Police spokesman Inspector Molefe Mokoena said yesterday a police investigation was underway.

Thabane says he was on his way to do a private job in Elandsfontein when the dogs attacked him.

"I was walking along a gravel road that passes John Beetge's smallholding in Elandsfontein when five of his nine dogs pounced on me. The dogs almost killed me," he said.

Neighbours claim the dogs have often attacked passersby and that Beetge paid off victims R250.

A neighbour found Thabane lying on the ground crying for help as the dogs attacked him. The neighbour chased off the pack and called an ambulance.

He was admitted to Chris Hani- Baragwanath Hospital for a month.

"I have been battling to get justice done. Look, I'm now crippled because of Beetge's dogs," said Thabane.

He claims the police don't keep him informed of progress in his case.

Beetge responded: "I have nine dogs but I'm going to keep two. You have no idea how high the crime level is in this area."

Thabane, a carpenter, said his employer, Dry Den Timber, is paying him R400 a fortnight, even though he was not injured on duty.

Mokoena says seven of Beetge's dogs were put down.

"Beetge was sentenced to 30 months in jail, suspended for five years, after his dogs mauled a worker from a neighbouring plot in March," said Mokoena. The court ordered him to pay damages of R1000.

A social services official who wished not to be named said Thabane should apply for a disability grant at the social services office nearest to where he lives.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT