Police have appealed to people living in informal settlements to be wary of the dangers of illegal electrical connections.
This is after a three-year-old boy was electrocuted while apparently playing with a live electricity cable in Pietermaritzburg on Tuesday.
Police spokesman Inspector Joey Jeevan said police were informed about the child's death when he was brought to Pietermaritzburg's Northdale Hospital by his uncle.
The boy had an open wound to his face and another on the right hand. The toddler died on the way to hospital.
Jeevan said preliminary investigations revealed that the boy had been left in the care of his uncle at home.
At the time of the incident, the boy had been playing outside the house. He was electrocuted after he touched a cable that was on the ground.
Another child playing in the yard alerted the uncle about the incident and the toddler was rushed to the hospital.
Investigations indicated that the source of the electricity cable was a shack that was previously built at the back of the main house. Power cables were reportedly illegally connected to the shack.
An inquest docket into the death has been opened.
However, police have not yet released the child's name.