Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
In leg irons and his hands cuffed to the back, self-confessed child rapist Paul Mokgomane Mofokeng made a brief appearance in the Protea magistrate's court in Soweto yesterday.
Mofokeng, 26, was flanked by five police officers. He appeared briefly at courts number two and six.
Firstly, he appeared in court two on a charge of escaping from lawful custody before his escape again from the courts' holding cells last November.
This was after his kidnap and rape case was postponed to December 28 for a high court date.
It took police 52 days to rearrest him. Even after his arrest, they only realised last week after they had profiled him that he was also wanted for kidnapping and rape.
Mofokeng was arrested in Pretoria after he was found in possession of an unlicensed firearm.
On Monday, he appeared in the Pretoria Central magistrate's court on a charge of possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition. The case was postponed to February 13.
Mofokeng, who also goes by the name of Vusi Zwane, has a housebreaking case pending against him.
It is alleged that Mofokeng lured a six-year-old Mofolo North, Soweto, girl from outside her home and raped her in his shack for two days in August.
He also made an appearance in court six for allegedly kidnapping and repeatedly raping the girl.
His first case was postponed to January 29 for a bail application. The kidnap and rape case was postponed because a high court date was not yet available. The case was postponed to March 4.
The Grade 1 pupil is recuperating at home after her womb operation on Friday. She was discharged from Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital on Monday. Her mother said if she "recovers quicker than expected, she will go back to school".
Meanwhile, an internal investigation is being conducted against the two officers who were initially suspected of having helped Mofokeng escape. Charges against them were, however, dropped.