Thu Oct 27 08:56:53 CAT 2016

Raped girl, 6, to undergo operation

By unknown | Jan 15, 2008 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Sibongile Mashaba

Sibongile Mashaba

The mother of the six-year-old Soweto girl who was raped last year said that her daughter's future rested on the womb operation that she would undergo tomorrow.

The girl was kidnapped and repeatedly raped for two days last August.

She was turned away twice at Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital, but the hospital's spokesman, Hester van der Heever, said at the time the girl would undergo the operation once the time was right.

"I would like my child to return to school but that is not possible because she is not well. If she heals after the operation then she will be able to go back to school."

The girl, a Grade 1 pupil, last went to school before she was raped.

But the operation is not the only thing worrying the mother.

She is also worried because her child's molester Paul Mofokeng, 26, escaped from Protea magistrate's court holding cells on November 14.

The mother told Sowetan that if Mofokeng was not re-arrested her daughter would not return to school.

Mofokeng lives five streets away from the girl's school.

The girl was lured from her home on August 19, repeatedly raped in a shack for two days.

She was dropped off at the gate of her home at about 3am on August 21.

Mofokeng confessed to the charges during his first court appearance and has been on the run for 58 days now.

He vanished from the court's holding cells, allegedly with the help of the police. This after his kidnap and rape case was postponed to December 28.

Inspector Kay Makhubela said: "The case was in court on December 28. He was going to be given a high court date for sentencing. It will go back to court when he is found," Makhubela said.

He said that the task team set up to find him were following every lead.

Meanwhile, the two officers arrested in connection with Mofokeng's escape have been moved from the court to Moroka police station.

The officers were served with suspension letters about a month ago.

The two were on duty at the court when Mofokeng vanished from the cells. They were arrested the following day and appeared in the same court on November 16.

Charges against them were withdrawn due to insufficient evidence linking them to the escape.

Police spokesman Philemon Khorombi said: "The two no longer work at the court but are still employed by the SAPS."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT