Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.
Justice Minister Brigitte Mabandla yesterday rejected as "untrue" reports that she had delayed the National Prosecuting Authority's (NPA) decision on whether or not to charge national police Commissioner Jackie Selebi.
"The NPA is an independent institution and does not have to get any permission from the minister before charging whoever," Mabandla's spokesman Zolile Nqayi said.
All the NPA was required to do was brief the minister on its decision.
"They have already submitted a report to the minister and also briefed her on the matter.
"There is nothing more which the minister is required to do as far as the Selebi investigation is concerned."
The story about the minister delaying the process was "completely untrue", Nqayi said.
NPA spokesman Tlali Tlali concurred with Nqayi, saying the minister had no say on the NPA's decision on Selebi.
"The NPA has already made a decision on the matter. The minister is not part of the decision-making process," he said.
Tlali said the NPA was still to decide on when to make public its decision on Selebi.
The NPA on December 16 said it had made a decision on whether or not Selebi "had a case to answer".
However, it said the decision would not be made public until it had been studied by Mabandla.
The decision was made after the NPA received a report from a panel reviewing the charges against Selebi, who is also the current head of Interpol.
NPA acting head Mokotedi Mpshe prepared and submitted a report to the minister on whether or not Selebi would be charged - after studying the findings of the review panel.
Selebi has come under fire over his involvement with convicted drug trafficker Glenn Agliotti, who is also accused of the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble. - Sapa