Wed Oct 26 21:13:43 CAT 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

Samaritans to the rescue

By unknown | Dec 20, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Given Mahlalela

Given Mahlalela

More help than expected is pouring in from Good Samaritans to help a Mpumalanga family whose house was gutted by fire.

Locals have donated blankets, food, Christmas clothes and other basic needs to the Ntimaba family.

The family lost everything in the fire after goods valued at R45000 were incinerated in the raging flames on Saturday night.

The KwaMhlushwa-based family, outside Malelane, has thanked the community for the donations, and particularly the Sowetan for highlighting their plight.

The family believes that the fire was caused by a burning candle that had been left on a table.

The Nkomazi Municipality offered the family a marquee to sleep in, and the children are staying with neighbours who have also opened their doors to them.

"I wish to thank the community for what they did for my children by giving them food and clothes," said Elinah Mkhatshwa.

She said the family still needed help because many of their goods had been destroyed by the fire.

l In another incident, a family in Dludluma village near Komatipoort lost their belongings in a fire, also caused by a burning candle, two weeks ago.

The incident happened while the family was asleep. They were woken up by lung-searing smoke.

Nkomazi Municipality spokesman Zibonelo Shabangu appealed to people not to leave candles unattended. She also urged other victims of fire to contact their offices for assistance.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT