The family of Siyabonga Ngubane of Qakwini reserve in Mfekayi, Mtubatuba, northern Zululand, has been banished from the area.
Ngubane, 29, confessed to the police that he had killed his six-month pregnant girlfriend and buried her in a shallow grave.
He told them that after stabbing Ntomb'futhi Myeza, 34, he stuffed her body in a plastic bag, loaded her in a wheelbarrow and then buried her in a sitting position.
The family is already thought to have fled to a neighbouring town.
Sowetan has also learnt that the dead women's family have demanded, and received, three cows as part of the ilobolo payment for their late daughter.
Ngubane told police he lured Myeza from Gauteng to KwaZulu-Natal by telling her that he wanted to discuss ilobolo with her.
After her arrival at his home, the two had a quarrel over a pair of ladie s shoes that had been left under his bed. The situation turned ugly and he ended up stabbing her three times. He then buried her body in a shallow grave 500m away from his home.
After the incident, another family came out claiming that their daughter, Cabangile Gumede, disappeared in 2004, allegedly after being invited by Ngubane for ilobolo talks.
She has never been seen since. Police are still investigating the case and have opened a missing person's docket.
After the two incidents, angry community members held a meeting and decided to banish the Ngubane family from their area.
Thembinkosi Mbatha, a councillor and spokesman for the Myeza family, said they were satisfied with the community's resolution that the family leave the area.
He said though this would not bring their daughter back, it showed that the community was distancing itself from the crime and shared in their loss.
"We are generally satisfied with the resolution. We hope it would serve as a warning to other potential murderers."
Myeza, who had been exhumed, will be buried tomorrow, Mbatha said.
Meanwhile, the Mtubatuba magistrate's court remanded Ngubane's case to Monday.