Wed Oct 26 07:59:23 CAT 2016

McBride's accuser up in arms

By unknown | Nov 30, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Simon Nare

Simon Nare

The Ekurhuleni municipality has frustrated two of the three suspended Metro officers who are squaring-up against Metro chief Robert McBride into resigning, it has been claimed.

But the third officer, Stanley Segathevan, vows to fight the suspended McBride to the bitter end.

"Someone needs to fight this. I have the energy and the will to do that," said Segathevan.

Segathevan, Patrick Johnston and Itumeleng Koko were suspended earlier this year after they turned state witnesses in the drunken driving trial of McBride.

The three were first to be on the scene where their boss crashed his luxury car on his way from a Christamas party on December 21.

At the time they were said to be on McBride's side.

Soon afterwards they were suspended suspended for alleged being involved in criminal activities.

These included armed robbery, selling stolen goods, using stolen vehicles and having links with cash-heist gangs.

In the ensuing spat they approached the Johannesburg High Court for a restriction order against McBride and five other senior officers whom they claimed harassed, intimidated or threatened them.

In a resignation letter addressed to City Manager Patrick Flusk, one of the officers cited victimisation as reason for leaving the force.

"The disciplinary hearing against me is not a fair hearing but a kangaroo court and smacks of victimisation. The number of charges alone are unheard of even in the entire country and are baseless, fabricated and devoid of any truth," wrote the officer.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT