Sat Oct 22 00:08:13 CAT 2016

'Shark' still rules

By unknown | Nov 29, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Bongani Magasela

Bongani Magasela

Mlungisi "The Shark" Dlamini still holds the World Boxing Foundation (WBF) lightweight title, contrary to reports that the WBF relieved him of its title for his alleged bad behaviour in Australia last month.

In fact this charismatic 25-year-old fighter from Esikhawini in KwaZulu-Natal, whose skills are honed in Gauteng by the cool-headed Warren Hulley, is scheduled to defend against American Lamont Pearson in January.

Dlamini parted ways with Golden Gloves last month after his alleged brawl in a bar in Australia after his fight with Robert Oyan.

But he has found a home with Robs Boxing Promotions of Blacky Seoe, the elegant dresser from the Free State who is yet to make an appearance as a promoter.

Seoe said he was working on getting a television date for the fight, which he said would take place in Bloemfontein.

"But I must say that whether I get it or not, the fight goes on. Mlungisi has to defend," he said.

Howard Goldberg, who represents the WBF in Africa, said all the concerned parties agreed when Dlamini joined Rodney Berman that he must defend the title in February or be stripped.

"Controversy happened and they parted ways last month and we got worried. But his manager [and father] Mboneni Dlamini made a commitment to us that his son has signed up with a new promoter and that he will defend in January," said Goldberg.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT