Wed Oct 26 21:31:17 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.


By unknown | Nov 05, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Sne Masuku

Sne Masuku

Despite the arrest of the alleged kingpin behind the killing of 10 KwaZulu-Natal women two months ago, the relatives of one of the victims say they are still receiving SMS messages from their missing daughter's cellphone.

The SMSes are being sent a month after the alleged serial killers were arrested.

The mother of Zuzile Tshongaye, whose remains still have to be confirmed through DNA tests as the 11th victim of the alleged Shayamoya sugarcane serial killer, says she received a "please call me" SMS from her daughter's cell number

Their daughter has been missing for eight months.

Zuzile disappeared in January with a man who had promised her work in Port St Johns in the Eastern Cape.

At the time she had moved to Durban in search of a job.

The Tshongaye family have identified a body believed to be hers. The body was exhumed a month ago after another family erroneously buried it earlier this year.

The family is one of several others in the province that are waiting for DNA results to prove the identities of the 11 bodies found in the sugarcane fields.

Only one of the bodies has been identified as that of Nombali Ngcobo of Inanda near Durban.

Tshongaye's family has not been the only one receiving SMSes from their missing daughters.

A family from Folweni, south of Durban who have come forward to claim two of the nine remaining unidentified bodies say they also received SMSes from one of the missing sisters' numbers.

The sisters Nonjabulo and Philisiwe Mpanza left home on their way to meet a man who had promised them jobs.

A family member, who did not want to be named, said they were terrified to receive SMSes from the people they had lost hope of ever finding alive.

"We received the SMSes on several occasions at midnight, the last SMS was in August and every time we called the phone it would be on voice mail," she said.

The families are concerned that the police might have arrested the wrong man or it could be that the alleged serial killer's companions are carrying on with the dirty work.

Police spokesman Zandra Hechter said they were not aware the Tshongaye family had been receiving SMSes.

She said the families should come to the police with such information.

She said now that they knew about it they would investigate to establish who had been sending the SMSes.

In September, five people were arrested in connection with the discovery of the badly decomposed bodies of 10 women

Three of the five suspects, including two women, have since been released after police could not find sufficient evidence against them. Police believe they have enough evidence against the remaining two, a man and a woman, who will appear in court again on Friday.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT