Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
A 53-year-old Ekurhuleni man, alleged to have shot dead a man he accused of raping his daughter, appeared in the Benoni district court on Friday charged with murder.
He was not asked to plead. The case was postponed to Thursday for a bail application. The accused remains in custody.
Police spokesman Sergeant Ramothakhi Maqabe said the man had handed himself over to police last week.
Maqabe said the man, who cannot be identified to protect his daughter, had told police he had shot and killed the 23-year-old man.
He claimed he had done so because the victim had raped his 20-year-old daughter.
Police said the man told them that, when he arrived at his Etwatwa home on July 29, the man had heard screams coming from his daughter's bedroom.
He said he had to enter the house by forcing open the kitchen door, which had been locked from the inside.
He entered the house, but could not open his daughter's bedroom door because someone kept pushing it closed from inside.
He drew his licensed firearm and fired three shots through the door.
When the door opened, the alleged rapist was lying dead in a pool of blood.
The man's daughter was lying unconscious and naked on her bed.
Though the daughter told police that her alleged attacker was a stranger, it has emerged that he was her lover. Police also claim the couple has a five-year-old son.