The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.
Former president FW De Klerk, said yesterday he had a "clear conscience", and rejected claims that he knew about apartheid-era crimes.
He accused the media of spreading lies about him.
The 71-year-old Nobel Peace prize winner said he had sent letters to the Mail &Guardian and the Sunday Times to reject reports that former police minister Adriaan Vlok and former police general Johann van der Merwe would implicate him in gross human rights violations.
If the newspapers did not give him the right to reply he would consider taking further action.
De Klerk said the Mail &Guardian had already given him space to reply. He was now waiting for the Sunday Times.
"I do not think that there is any possibility of me being charged because I have not been involved in any crime whatsoever," he said.
"If it were ever to come that a person with my record should be charged, then as a lawyer, I would say we no longer have a legal system of which we can be proud of in South Africa.
"I have not only a clear conscience, I am not guilty of any crime whatsoever."