Wed Oct 26 09:36:16 SAST 2016

Dead initiate's dad probed

By unknown | Jul 27, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Vuyolwethu Sangotsha

Vuyolwethu Sangotsha

An Eastern Cape initiate's father is being investigated for fraud and culpable homicide after his son died while at the initiation school in Lusikisiki.

Police spokesman Captain Mduduzi Godlwana yesterday said the boy's father, produced a false birth certificate to the authorities. This was when his 15-year-old son was being examined before going to the mountain where the custom was to take place.

He said the boy died at the initiation school after he complained about stomach cramps. Despite his complaints, he was never rushed to hospital for treatment.

According to the Traditional Circumcision Act, under-18 boys are prohibited from undergoing traditional circumcision in the province.

"It seems his parents had borrowed a birth certificate from a 20-year-old boy. They did this because the boy was underage and therefore not eligible to go to the initiation school," he said.

Godlwana said the owner of the birth certificate had already been circumcised.

"His father has not been arrested as he's still being investigated," he said.

The death of the boy brings the number of initiates who had died in the province to 24, according to provincial health officials.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT