Thu Oct 27 13:05:13 SAST 2016

Traffic cop claims assault by 'racist' motorist

By unknown | Jul 20, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Simon Nare

Simon Nare

A black traffic officer was allegedly beaten by a white motorist whom he had stopped for speeding.

And to add insult to injury, the chief prosecutor in the area allegedly destroyed the case docket at the police station on June 8.

"As I was busy opening the case, the chief prosecutor stormed into the charge office and demanded the docket. She told the officer who took my statement that the case had been withdrawn and the motorist and the passenger must be freed.

She even went to the cells where they were being held to demand their release," said the officer, who does not want his name published.

Police spokesman Captain Stephen Thakeng confirmed that the case against the motorist had been withdrawn before it even went to court. The incident allegedly happened in Sasolburg, Free State.

"We have referred the matter to our legal services for further investigation. We are going to look into the whole issue, especially the intervention by the prosecutor," said Thakeng.

He said the motorist had also opened a case against the officer and this had also been withdrawn by the same prosecutor.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman Panyaza Lesufi said he could not comment before speaking to the prosecutor involved.

"If people think that there is misconduct on the side of the prosecutor, they must approach the NPA," he said.

The drama allegedly started between Sasolburg and Zamdela, where the officer and a colleague had set-up a speed trap. The officer allegedly had to jump out of the road as a bakkie driven by the suspect came straight at him.

"The driver stopped about 50m away. I asked for his driver's licence. He refused and said I was wasting his time. He then drove off and stopped. When I reached him, he produced his licence but said he would not give it to a black man. I tried to grab it but he slapped me and sped off," said the officer.

He and a colleague gave chase until a dead-end, where they found the driver and a passenger off-loading goods. The motorist again refused to cooperate and became aggressive.

"I sprayed him with pepper spray to subdue him. I called my supervisor, who called the police. They came and arrested him. We all went to the police station where I opened a case," he said.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT