Schooling got off to a smooth start in KwaZulu-Natal yesterday as more than 6000 schools reopened for the third quarter.
With only two weeks left before the mid-year exams, MEC for education Ina Cronje appealed to pupils to use the time productively.
Learning at the province's schools began on a voluntary basis last week for pupils and teachers who wanted to catch up on lost time because of the public service strike.
Cronje appealed to pupils to "put their shoulder to the wheel until the last bell rings".
"Most of you will be writing mid-year exams in two weeks' time, use your time wisely. The only recipe to success is hard work and we are committed to do everything humanly possible to support you," said Cronje.
Learning was also back to normal at the troubled Zwelithini High School at Eshowe yesterday after angry pupils caused chaos at the school on Friday in protest against Saturday classes.
The pupils stoned teachers and allegedly fired shots in the air. No one was injured.
The school principal Bongani Sibisi told Sowetan that they were in the process of identifying the alleged perpetrators of the violence.
Sibisi said his staff would meet the school governing body tomorrow where a decision would be taken on whether to lay charges against the perpetrators.
He added that those responsible for the violence were a small group who were trying to sway the whole school against Saturday classes.
"We have addressed pupils and they understand that the extra classes are for their benefit, and learning is back to normal," said Sibisi.
Provincial education spokesman Christi Naude said though they were still waiting for reports from some districts, learning seemed to be back to normal at all the province's schools.
She added that the extra classes were voluntary and encouraged pupils to take advantage of the Saturday lessons.