Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
The SABC yesterday lashed out at the producers of the controversial television documentary on President Thabo Mbeki, Thabo Mbeki: Unauthorised, Redi Direko and Ben Cashdan, for screening the documentary.
SABC spokes-man, Kaizer Kganyago, pictured, yesterday told Sowetan that Cashdan and his associates were undermining the SABC by showing the documentary to the public when in fact it was the property of the broadcaster.
The SABC yesterday threatened legal action to stop the producers from continuing to show the documentary.
But Cashdan maintained that it was within the producers' rights to show the film which belonged to them because the SABC contract had been cancelled when the public broadcaster did not show the film.
Cashdan said: "We are going ahead showing the film on July 19 in Soweto, July 28 in Johannesburg, July 23 in Khayelitsha, July 25 in Cape Town, July 26 in Durban and July 26 in KwaMashu."
The SABC has on two occasions shelved plans to screen Thabo Mbeki: Unauthorised, saying that certain parts of the film were "incurably defamatory and editorially flawed", raising a public outcry over what was seen as censorship by the Auckland Park TV bosses.
Broad Daylight, the production company commissioned to produce the documentary, have recently shown the film after repackaging it as Thabo Mbeki Unbanned.
The film was also shown at the recently ended Grahamstown National Arts Festival to full houses. Hordes of people had to be turned away when there was a near stampede with festival goers demanding to see the documentary which was also screened at the Durban International Film Festival.