Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
Sne Masuku and Khangale Makhado
The strike by health workers has turned deadly after claiming its first victim in KwaZulu-Natal.
The distraught family of a 13-year-old boy at Umlazi in Durban, who was shot by his 10-year-old friend this week, is blaming the shortage of staff at Prince Mshiyeni Hospital for the boy's subsequent death.
Khanyisani Mngadi, a grade 6 pupil at Sekelani Primary School, was rushed to the hospital after being shot in the head.
His uncle, Mthokozisi Mngadi, said the only nurse on duty at the casualty section was too busy to help his nephew.
"The nurse kept us waiting for more than 30 minutes while she was busy with other patients ahead of us," he said. "There was not a single doctor available to help us."
Mngadi said the nurse asked them to wait as she could not deal with a patient with a gunshot wound without a doctor's assistance.
"Khanyisani was alive when we arrived at the hospital. I would feel better if there were nurses and doctors who had at least tried to help, but nothing was done. The lack of medical attention contributed to his death," Mngadi said.
He said the boys had been playing at a nearby house when they found a gun wrapped in a cloth hidden in the garage . They argued over whether it was real or not. One of them pulled the trigger, pointing it in the direction of Khanyisani.
l In Polokwane, Limpopo, the family of a 24-year-old pregnant woman who died on Tuesday hours after being admitted to Jane Furse Hospital, blame her death on the strike by health workers as well.
The family were seeking legal opinion before deciding on the next steps to take.
Nununu Radingoana, of GaRadingoana, had been taken to the local Ikageng Community Clinic after complaining of severe pains, her uncle Mokoatedi Radingoana said.