The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.
Vusi Ndlovu and Sibongile Mashaba
Teachers' union Sadtu yesterday vowed to stand by its members who participated in the march on Friday.
The union made this pledge after Public Service Minister Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi said she would deal with principals who participated in the national mass action.
"We will stand by and protect our members who took part in a legal march. It is our fundamental principle that we protect people who took part in the march because it is their constitutional right to strike," said Patrick Craven of Cosatu.
However, The SA Principals' Association said a number of school principals did not attend the march and continued managing their schools.
Asked if there were measures to help matriculants who have to submit half-yearly exam results when they apply to tertiary education institutions next year, Craven said: "We lay the intervention at the door of the government. We can only hope we find a solution soon."
Principals' spokesman Alison Kippo said the association would not say what action they would take if disciplinary action was taken against the principals who participated in the march.
Unions representing civil servants are demanding a 12percent salary hike while the government has improved its offer to 6,5percent.
High school pupils are the worst hit by the strike.
Three grade 12 pupils from Mossouri Senior Secondary School in Eldorado Park said the strike had already started having an effect on them because they would not be able to finish their mid-year exams.